'It's not the misery of one's circumstances that creates the motivation for change, but realising the possibilities that will bring meaning back into our lives.'
Founder of Smart Patient® and Health Commons - WOW!
Back track four years to 2014, my 60th birthday waking to find 3 pairs of new shoes:
- a pair of plastic leopard print wellingtons;
- a pair of elastic rainbow sandals; and
- a pair of knitted love heart pink slippers - not quite my choice in footwear, but practical.
And I never buy practical!
But this heralded a new chapter in my journey
and a much bigger one than I had imagined.
My goodness I'm getting old!
Self-published Smart Patient Journey Road Map, increasing your odds for success and currently embracing the journey, rolling up my sleeves, working on the ground, researching, teaching and developing the program. Now, after 4 years of grounded research, I have just published Health Commons Ready Reckoner, Course Companion Guide for our new self-advocacy training.
Now for the crux - what's the real impetus?
- the frustration of working within a health system top-heavy with unvalidated claims;
- the possibility of realising a vision where we can collect and share the evidence of what works for the common good, from real people with real stories; and, most importantly,
- the privilege of witnessing, over a 30 year tireless trek, the results of human endeavour and the remarkable capacity of the human body to heal.
So here we are today, after 4 years of research, piloting the Smart Patient project - now known as Health Commons - a project which will do much more than help people stave off the ravages of chronic disease, but one that will bring possibility and meaning back into people's lives at a personal, family, group and community level.
In our last year of the research we took 30 people on the journey (sponsored by QLD Health, Metro South) and it works! So now, in 2020 - we offer the Ready Reckoner Training for self-advocates, a program that will stimulate the grass roots, giving it the edge to set new trends in healthcare.
Inviting you to join me on my journey, stay in touch or contact me if you want to be involved or know more.
Smart Patient® Journey Road Map, increasing your odds for success. ISBN 9780980376296
Dietary Healing, the complete detox program. ISBN 9780980376203
Nutritional Healing, after the work of Dr. Max Gerson. ISBN 9780980376234
Health Commons Ready Reckoner, Course Companion Guide. ISBN 9780994334213